The broad objectives of NSS are to:
- Understand the community in which the volunteers work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving processes.
- Develop in them a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.